Research and Implementation Center
The Virginia Department of Education founded the Virginia Tiered Systems of Supports Research and Implementation Center at the Virginia Commonwealth University Center for School-Community Collaboration.
The VTSS-RIC strives to build state and local capacity for a sustained tiered system of academic, behavioral, social-emotional supports that are responsive to the needs of all students.
In collaboration with the Virginia Department of Education’s Training and Technical Assistance Centers, VTSS-RIC provides professional learning and on-site coaching to school divisions to:
- Implement proactive and preventive evidence-based practices to support measureable improvements in attendance, academics, behavior and social-emotional health
- Use data-informed problem solving, decision making and progress monitoring to effectively meet instructional needs
- Build an integrated framework that promotes shared leadership at the division, school, classroom and community levels
- Promote a culture of continuous growth through ongoing professional learning
VTSS-RIC is funded by the following sources:
- Virginia State Personnel Development Grant, Office of Special Education Programs, U.S. Department of Education (Federal Award #H323A170018)
- Virginia School Climate Transformation Grant, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education (Federal Award #S184F180014)
- Virginia state funds
The RIC is housed in the Center for School-Community Collaboration at VCU. You can find more information on the Center at its website.