On January 18, 2017, the U.S. Access Board published a final rule in the federal register to update Section 508 to set Web Content and Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level AA as the new standard for website accessibility. The rule requires adherence to the new accessibility standards twelve months from its date of publication.
Currently, the VTSS-RIC website meets W3C’s WCAG 1.0 Level A and current federal Rehabilitation Act Section 508 standards. VTSS-RIC is working towards completing WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliance by January 18, 2019.
The goals of the VTSS-RIC Website Accessibility Plan are as follows:
- All new content posted on this website after January 18, 2018, will meet W3C’s WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliance, either as a single document or in both compliant and non-compliant versions.
- All content on this website posted prior to January 18, 2018, that does not meet W3C’s WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliance will be remediated by content owners until all files are compliant.
The following action plan addresses the accessibility of content on the main VTSS-RIC website available at https://www.vtss-ric.org and on all other web links established by RIC for official purposes, including conference registration sites, social media sites, and technical assistance sites.
Timeline for accessibility transition:
|Goal||Preparation (prior to January 18, 2018)||Transition||Implementation||Monitoring|
|All new content posted on the VTSS-RIC website after January 18, 2018 meets W3C’s WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliance||
|All content posted prior to January 18, 2018 on the VTSS-RIC website will meet W3C’s WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliance by January 18, 2019.||
Don’t have MS Office Applications?
Most of our documents, particularly those compliant with Level AA, will be available on MS Office applications, mainly Word, Excel and PowerPoint. If you do not have MS Office installed on your laptop, desktop or device, you may still view our documents using one of the following suggestions:
- On Windows 10 PCs, download the free Word, Excel or PowerPoint Mobile application from the Windows Store.
- On iOS devices, download the free Word, Excel or PowerPoint for iOS application from the Apple Store.
- On Android devices, download the free Word, Excel or PowerPoint for Android application from the Google Play store.
- Try Office 365 for free for 1 month, which gives you access to the full versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and more and can be installed on up to 5 PCs or Macs, plus up to 5 tablets and 5 phones.
- On Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 PCs, upload the file to OneDrive and view it for free using Word, Excel or PowerPoint Online.