- This event has passed.
Starting to Sustaining – Session A
October 24, 2019, 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Who Should Attend?
Strand 1: Cohort 6 division teams and any cohort 1-5 division team that needs to revisit the DIDM strand
Strands 2 or 3: Cohort 5 and any cohort 1-4 division team that has not participated in that strand previously
Strand 4: All cohorts with division/school data points that indicate a need for equity work and participants who are ready to engage potentially difficult conversations
|Check-in Start:||8:30 a.m.|
|Session Start:||9:30 a.m.|
|Session Ends:||4:00 p.m.|
How to Register:
Attendees will choose and register for one strand only at the registration site. The deadline for registering is Thursday, October 17, 2019, OR when the maximum number of registrations has been reached.
Special Instructions – Please read!!
This training is for pK-12 educational professionals in the Commonwealth of Virginia. We reserve the right to cancel registrations of individuals who do not meet this criteria.
Photographs and/or videos may be taken at this event to be used in a photo gallery, either on the VTSS -RIC or VDOE websites, or in a display via social media sources. If you do not want to be included in photos or videos, please contact us at .
Certificates of Attendance will be distributed at the conclusion of the training. We do not issue formal Continuing Educational Units (CEUs).
We know strong, committed division and school leadership is key to improving student academic, behavioral and social-emotional outcomes. Leadership is also essential to fostering meaningful family/school partnerships. Our opening session focuses on opportunities for strengthening leadership of family engagement within VTSS. Division teams will identify and explore specific leadership strategies that contribute to building a climate of strong partnership that results in improved student outcomes.
- Explore where and why differences between school staff and community demographics and cultural assumptions may create barriers to meaningful family and community engagement.
- Increase familiarity with proven strategies to address the unique challenges to effective school/family partnerships in multi-tiered systems of supports.
- In teams, name engagement strategies Division leaders will start, continue and stop in their individual communities to strengthen and measure family engagement.
Strand 1: Data-Informed Decision Making
Division leadership teams will develop effective data-informed decision-making systems starting with the development of an integrated data dashboard and efficient data meeting structures for division and school use.
- Complete data audit.
- Develop action items within the implementation plan to provide division leadership team(s) and building-level teams with access to an integrated data dashboard (Matrix 2.A) that includes fidelity AND student outcome data.
- Integrate action items that include professional learning for SLT in the use of an integrated data collection system.
- Select or revise a clear process for data-informed decision making with a focus on teaching and learning (Matrix 2.B).
- Apply a problem of practice to the established data-informed decision-making process via case study and reflection.
Strand 2: Academic Alignment
Participants will review the roles of the Division Leadership Team in supporting an aligned academic structure at the division and school levels, develop an assessment inventory, and understand the selection process for universal screening instruments. They will explore the process of implementing a universal screening system.
- Review the responsibilities of the Division Leadership Team to align all supports, with a focus on academic supports, within a VTSS structure.
- Understand the process of developing a division assessment inventory.
- Develop an aligned template for a data dashboard.
- Review the purposes and key components of universal screeners and discuss how divisions/schools use these data to improve instruction.
- Understand the elements of the screening process.
- Explore communicating with families regarding the assessment process and use of data for making decisions.
Strand 3: Advanced Tiers
Session A will focus on divisions understanding what advanced tiers support looks like in their schools and how they can support that work at the division level.
- Review the Data-Informed Decision-Making process in the context of making instructional decisions for Advanced Tiers implementation. (Matrix 2.B)
- Analyze current definitions of each tier and design aligned operational definitions for multi-tiered supports across domains for efficient implementation. (Matrix 1.F)
- Organizing collaboration with school teams to determine the fidelity and effectiveness of the meeting structures used for data-informed decision making (2.C)
Strand 4: Equity
In this session, division leaders will focus on increasing student outcomes through equitable practices. Participants will examine available data and the core components of Cultural Responsiveness/Equity to better understand the current implementation of practices, identify barriers and craft goals and actionable steps for supporting students and faculty/staff across identity groups. These goals and action steps will serve as the focus for remaining Professional Learning events in December and March.
- Explore components of cultural responsiveness.
- Analyze division, school, and classroom data through an equity lens, focusing on the inequities that lie at the root of the data.
- Address how biases and behaviors such as microaggressions, deficit thinking, and colorblindness undermine student success.
- Review existing initiative/resource maps to identify current practices targeting equity and evaluate the effectiveness of these practices/initiatives.
Lodging and Event Details:
|Location:||Holiday Inn Charlottesville-University Area|
|Reservations by phone:||1-434-977-7700; identify as "Virginia Commonwealth University"|
|Deadline to make reservations:||October 4|
|Reservations cancellation deadline:||Refer to your reservation confirmation email.|
|Date(s) of room block:||October 23, 2019|
|State Per Diem rate:||$129 (plus tax)|
|Check-in/Check-out:||3 pm/12 pm (noon)|
Parking: Due to construction, parking may be limited. If space is unavailable, please proceed to the Hyatt Place Charlottesville, located at 2100 Bond Street, which is less than a mile away. Attendees may park on the top parking lot. The Holiday Inn van will shuttle attendees back and forth.
Google Map Directions
- Directions to the Hyatt Place from the Holiday Inn
- Directions to the Holiday Inn from the Hyatt Place
All attendees are responsible for all travel expenses, including lodging and mileage.
VDOE/VTSS blocked rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis until capacity has been reached. Once the block is full, additional rooms cannot be added. All attendees are responsible for all travel expenses, including lodging and mileage.The applicable state rate on the date of check-in is offered for single, double, triple or quad overnight room accommodations.
You must guarantee your reservation with your personal/school credit card.
If you find you cannot attend the event, you must cancel the lodging reservations the day prior to arrival to avoid being charged one night's room + taxes. Rooms that are not canceled in time on the day prior to arrival ("no shows") will be billed to your personal/school credit card.
Checking in: Important Information
A credit card and I.D. are required at check-in. A deposit hold will be placed on the credit card in an amount to cover the anticipated room, tax and incidental charges.
SPECIAL NOTICE: At the time of check-in, the use of a debit card will initiate an immediate deduction from the account associated with the card. The charges that will be immediately deducted from the account will be the amount of the full stay, plus a possible additional fee per night for any incidentals. Upon check-out, any unused funds will be credited back to the applicable account. Based upon the bank, it may take three to five days, or even longer, to process this transaction to the account.